Contamination Ruins Recycling
In the past 5 years, the quality of Recycling has been reduced tremendously due to contamination.
– You may think we all recycle, but we are doing it wrong. –
Recycling carts, bins, and dumpsters get filled with non-recyclable items every day. This happens not only with our customers, but it’s happening nationwide. When recycling gets contaminated, it can’t be used to make new products.
Think Before You Throw
Now where will our recyclables go? – Good Question! Recycling haulers are now being faced with high fees for contaminated items. “Dirty Recycling” is being rejected at the facilities all together, and then must be disposed as trash. Unless WE get better about what is put in the recycle bin, things will only get worse, and eventually a lot of what you recycle could end up in a landfill. #ThinkBeforeYouThrow
Recycling is a Commodity
For more than 10 years, China has imported nearly half of America’s plastic, cardboard, and mixed paper recyclables. NOT ANY MORE! Due to the excessive contamination issues, China is putting its foot down and has banned “dirty recycling” from entering their country. This ban is called – Operation National Sword – and has resulted in millions of tons of recycling material with nowhere to go.
Education is Key
- All recyclable items should be rinsed and free of any food residue before placing in your bin.
- Styrofoam, Diapers, Syringes, and Lights Bulbs belong in your TRASH and are not recyclable.
- Plastic Bags can be recycled at your local grocery store. Read our blog about #PlasticBagProblems
- Never put batteries in your trash can or recycling bin.
Written by Nancy Hessler-Spruill